Sometimes the ideas dry up and you get stuck in a rut while making a quilt. This is one I finally finished (quite a while back...a bit too busy to post recently)
I started this quilt in November 2013 and it was supposed to be a Christmas present for the daughter of our friends in Munich. They are definitely a mid-century modern family and have some lovely period furniture, so I tried to create a mcm feel with the colour scheme (the photo does not quite do this quilt justice)
This was my first chevron quilt using strips of different widths. These quilts are always a little more "fabric-intensive" than you'd think, and you do cut off an awful lot of fabric as you go. I was happy with the overall result - child-friendly, but not twee.
My quilter's block surfaced when I was trying to choose the backing fabric. I ended up with a scrappy-ish back which complements the colour scheme of the front.
It is a pretty straightforward quilt to make, but because the edges are all on the bias, you have to be very careful as you are piecing not to stretch the fabric out of shape. Piecing the top together was fine, but I found the edges had become a little longer than the rest of the quilt when I started binding it.
And talking of binding, I finally got around to choosing the binding (Lecien - dark green with small dots. Lovely fabric to work with!) in July 2014 and handed over the quilt in August 2014, so a few months shy of an entire year to complete a small chevron quilt. Shame on me!